Monday, December 1, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dear Family and Friends,

It sounds like you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving break! I missed spending the holiday with you, but am so grateful to be serving as a missionary here in Madison(:

Thanksgiving Dinner x2:
The ward members took such good care of us this week! We were invited to TWO Thanksgiving dinners! We ate the first with the Thirsten's, a young family here for Grad school, and the second with the Durtschi's, a nice family in the ward who invited a bunch of ward members, less actives, and the missionaries over to enjoy the big meal. We enjoyed all the traditional Thanksgiving specialties, but also tried a few German dishes! I'm not a huge sweet potato fan, but Brother Durtschi made them taste pretty dang good! I also loved the rolls and Sister Thirsten's apple pie(: While walking over to the Thirsten's Sister King and I had fun counting our blessings - we truly have been given SO much! During comp study we found D&C 78:19 which rules!!! Look it up! I am just so grateful for the gospel and this time I have to share it full time!

Best Lessons of the Week:
This week we met with Emily, a less active Mom who wants to come back to church - we are just going through all of the missionary discussions to help her strengthen her testimony. This week we had a great lesson about the Plan of Salvation where we used the classic little pictures to help illustrate each part of the plan. We taught about pre-mortal life, living on earth, the spirit world, resurrection, judgment, and the 3 kingdoms of glory, but then we talked about our Savior Jesus Christ and how the entire plan is centered on Him. Without Him it would all end at death - as we explained this we took away all of the pictures past that point and it just really illustrated how much we rely on our Savior and His Atonement. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it was super powerful! I know we need Christ in our lives and I am so grateful for Him and His infinite Atonement!
Another great lesson was with Nazeleh, an 18 year old potential investigator the Elders found a few months ago. We met her family last week and were able to catch her at home this week! We shared a message with her about the Book of Mormon and explained where it came from and why it is so important. She listened intently and asked some really good questions! When we asked if she wanted to learn more she said that she did, but that she also wanted her family to sit in on our next lesson because she thought they would really like it and that her Mom had been impressed with us when she met us last week! Sister King and I are so excited to have a family to teach!(:

Bus Contacting Success:
I am a huge fan of bus contacting! We just talk with everyone and anyone on the bus. This week some people really didn't want to talk with us and just ignored us, but then we met some other people who were totally prepared! We made a goal to testify boldly of Jesus Christ and to try to pass out more copies of the Book of Mormon so with that in mind we just went to work talking with everyone! We met a man named Ishmael on the bus and invited him to church just like we do with everyone else we talk to, but on Sunday he actually showed up to church! It was awesome! He stayed for all 3 hours and really enjoyed it! We have an appointment with him later this week so hopefully that goes well! It was such a huge blessing/answer to prayers to have 5 investigators at church this week!

Hiccups:
So I got a really bad case of the hiccups on Sunday after church and they just wouldn't go away! We were in a lesson with Janet, this cute old lady recent convert, and she told me to hold my breath while she counted to 10 to get my hiccups to go away. I did and afterwards they were gone! I thanked her for curing me and then she humbly said, "no it was God who cured you." Ha Sister King and I both stifled some laughter, but later we talked about what a great example Janet is to us! She totally attributes every good thing that happens to her to be from Heavenly Father! She is so grateful for all the little things and we should be too! I love Alma 26:12 where Ammon accepts his own weaknesses and just glories in God. I've been thinking a lot about how I can be better at acknowledging God's hand because this is His work and we see so many little miracles each day! I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who is so mindful of us!

Alright I think that about sums up the week! Things are going well here as we're gearing up for Christmas! I can't wait to talk with you guys in a few weeks! Love you!
xoxo
Sister Kelley(:
Sister King and I wearing our warm wool socks - warming up by the fireplace!

Thanksgiving meal complete with place card!

Happy Thanksgiving! This is us at the Durtschi's!

No comments:

Post a Comment