Monday, November 3, 2014

Happy Halloween!

Dear Family and Friends,

Well it's been another week. Ha I'm not sure where the time is going, but as of yesterday I've officially been out for 4 months! Can you believe it?! Man time is flying by out here!

Carving Pumpkins:
Last P-day after emails we wanted to get into the spirit of Halloween so we decided to carve pumpkins with the Elders! Sister Christiansen carved a Harry Potter pumpkin which turned out great then I scraped out the pumpkin guts while Elder Neville carved what was supposed to be a one-eyed monster... it looked terrible! Ha epic fail. We all had a good time though(: Then we did some service raking and bagging leaves. We had a blast jumping in the piles of leaves and enjoying the fall weather!

Painting, painting, and more painting:
I don't know what it is with us and painting lately, but we've been doing a ton of it for less actives, members, and investigators! Ha this week Sister Stoflet, our ward Relief Society President, needed help painting her house so we spent some time over there helping out. They've been working really hard to get their new house all finished before the snow flies! Hopefully they can start getting things moved in soon!

Halloween Festivities:
On Halloween morning we woke up to snow! It was really pretty, but I'm not ready for it to be that cold quite yet! Thankfully most of it melted before the end of the day. We shared a message with our investigator April and got to see her girls get all dressed up to go out trick-or-treating! We enjoyed a delicious dinner at Sister Bauer's house with the Elders then played a few minute-to-win-it games where we all looked like complete fools. I'd say it was a successful Halloween for sure(:

Ward Fall Festival:
Instead of a ward Halloween party they do a ward Fall Festival so that was held on November 1st! I was bummed the little kids didn't come in their cute costumes, but we had a good turn out and there were lots of fun activities. During the week we ran around like crazy visiting all of our investigators, less actives, and recent converts to invite them to the activity! It was great to see some of them there and introduce them to other members of the ward. Oh and they did the classic 'Chili Cook-off' so that was fun! The missionaries were the judges so Elders Kirk and Neville and Sister Christiansen and I had to taste test all the Chili and pick the winners! There was a Chili made with ghost peppers that absolutely killed my throat.. ha it was soo spicy! Also people in Wisconsin sometimes put noodles in their chili so that was weird... hadn't seen that before. Anyway it was a super fun activity(:

Catholic Mass:
The Elders were invited to attend Catholic Mass by a lady who they met while out street contacting. They gave her a Book of Mormon and taught her the Restoration, but she is very Catholic. She asked why our church didn't have sister missionaries and they told her that the church actually does have sister missionaries.. so they brought us along to meet her during Saturday morning Mass. So yes, I went to a Catholic Mass this week! Ha it was actually really interesting, but weird too. You couldn't feel the spirit like you can in our church services. They were celebrating All Saints Day. Ha some of the stuff they did/said made sense, but then you could see where the truth had been lost. I am so grateful for the Restoration! We ended up going out to breakfast with this lady and had a great conversation about what we believe. We talked about the Great Apostasy a ton and bore testimony of the Book of Mormon. She said she would be interested in coming to one of our Sunday services to see how we worship so we'll see what comes of that!

The Church is True:
I'm not sure if it was just the contrast between Mass the day before or the fact that we had 4 investigators attend Sacrament meeting(:(:(:... but I felt the spirit SO strongly at church this week!!! Sister Christiansen bore a really powerful testimony and I had a super cool fasting experience. I am so grateful for the Restoration of the gospel and the knowledge we have of the truth! I'm grateful for the power of the Holy Ghost and the fact that we can receive our own personal witness of the truth. The gospel requires ACTION and as we act our testimonies will increase in strength and we will become truly converted!

Understanding Testimony:
Dylan, Jenny and Gary's son, is an 11 year old recent convert who I absolutely adore! He totally reminds me of my little brothers(: He is seriously the sweetest kid and has a heart of gold! He is such a good example to me - I learn so much from him. This week in preparation for Fast and Testimony meeting we talked with Dylan about bearing a testimony. He was nervous about it and wanted to practice in a Family Home Evening setting. Even in FHE he was scared, but he bore his testimony and did great! As a missionary I go around bearing my testimony to people everyday, but just like Dylan sometimes I get scared! Ha but the more I do it the easier it gets. In my Book of Mormon reading this week I read from Mosiah about Abinadi bearing his testimony so boldly and powerfully to wicked King Noah and his Priests. The power of his testimony touched Alma who then touched THOUSANDS of lives by bringing others to the knowledge of the truth. Bearing testimony is powerful! I am grateful for the chance I have to share my testimony each day with the people of Wisconsin(: Being a missionary rules!

Thanks for the prayers, support, and encouragement! It means a lot(: I love and miss ya all! Hope you have a great week!

xoxo
Sister Kelley









On halloween we dressed up as ultra old fashioned sister missionaries!
Then we realized how hideous we looked and we changed before going out in public...
One more old fashioned pic...


Playing Minute to Win It games


Look how long my hair is....I'm so proud:) And I love my new orange hat!!!
Thanks Grandma Cathy (Cloward) for making it and
Grandma Barbara for sending it along with the yummy oatmeal fix-ins!


No comments:

Post a Comment