Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sunshine in my Soul

Hey Family and Friends!

Good news, I survived week one of the MTC. The concept of time in here is so strange - on one hand it seems like I've been here for a day and on the other it seems as if it's been an eternity! The first night I definitely felt like Dorthy on the Wizard of Oz when I looked around and realized I really wasn't in Kansas anymore! Ha but I totally love it, everyone is super nice and the schedule keeps us really busy! 

District 24:
I absolutely LOVE my district! Honestly some of the most genuine, hard working kids ever. My companion Sister Escobar is from Nampa, Idaho and loves to read and dance. She's such a good example to me and we get along super well! We love running during gym time and eating oatmeal in the mornings(: She's a bit shy so when we teach I take the lead and then she just hits home the point with her powerful testimony. We share a room with Sisters Biro and Kunz who are also going to the Wisconsin, Milwaukee Mission, in fact our whole district is headed there! Sister Biro is 25, from AZ, and a convert! She has so much faith it's truly inspiring! Sister Kunz is from Washington and loves theatre - she's really animated when she talks, yet super quiet and spiritual when she teaches. Then we have the 18-year-old Elders - Merrill, McDurmott, and Baird. Elder Merrill is from Idaho and loves sports/outdoors stuff. He is super down to earth and easy to get along with. Elder McDurmott is from Layton, UT and has the cheesiest grin you've ever seen. That kid is always smiling. He's hard working and really keeps us going. Elder Baird is from Heber City, UT and loves to sing. He knows the scriptures really well - he puts us all to shame. Ha but we all balance each other out and get along well. We love spending time together and all look out for one another. We had a sweet zone, but they all left us yesterday for the mission field! We are looking forward to getting new zone members today as the new missionaries are dropped off! 

Sunshine in My Soul:
Our District loves to sing.. ha we sing to start class and everyone gets way into it! Definitely brings in the spirit. Also Sister Escobar and I were called as the District/Zone Music Coordinators so for Sacrament meeting I played the prelude music and lead. We've loved getting to know our Branch Presidency and their wives - the Jenkins, Mays, and LaTurners have become our parents in here! We enjoy the time we get to spend with them after Devotionals and on Sundays. At the Devotional last night Neil A. Anderson spoke about the Holy Ghost which was super powerful. It's so cool that after being baptized we can have the constant companionship of a member of the Godhead if we live worthily!  

A Day in the Life:
The MTC is all about planning so each day we stick to a pretty tight schedule. We wake up at 6:30 and get ready before going to eat breakfast as a District. Next we have classroom instruction where MTC teachers teach us all about the Doctrine of Christ and the Atonement. We practice teaching "investigators" which really means we practice teaching our teachers and they pretend to be progressing investigators. Our progressing investigator's name is Paul and he's the best! Sister Escobar and I have loved teaching "Paul" aka Brother Rassmussen. We also teach TRC (I have no clue what that stands for and I guess no one else does either because we've asked tons of missionaries...) investigators which are realish investigators. In a little bit Sister Escobar and I get to teach Melissa who is a TRC investigator from Milwaukee - so cool! During gym time we run around the track or outside - occasionally we go to the actual gym too. We get to walk up to the temple sometimes, but it's closed right now so we won't get to go through. Other than that we just spend time studying with our awesome teachers Brother Rassmussen and Sister Westover.

Just a little spiritual thought:
D&C 68:6 has been my go to scripture this week. I know that our Savior Jesus Christ lives and loves each of us - this gospel truly brings peace and happiness!

Love and miss ya all a real lot(:
xoxo
Sister Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment